With a lot of experts online giving their own (and sometimes contradictory) advice on the proper biceps workout, it can get a bit frustrating picking the right one for you. So it’s a good thing Rob Riches—who just won at the UK Nationals—is here in the video showing you just what to do for your biceps. But in case you have any doubts as to whether this workout will work, just take a quick look at those biceps. That’s the kind of impressive muscle tone you can get when you follow his workout instructions religiously.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when watching the video:
- The video properly starts at the 0:28 mark; before that, there’s just a short discussion about his Paleo Diet. Rob actually does discuss his diet quite a bit in this video, at the start and at the end. If you’re interested, there are links in the video for you to click. What’s interesting is that he emphasizes “not cheating” on his diet.
- Watch the video all throughout and take note of the equipment and materials you’ll need. It’s best to have them all ready so you can do your workout in a seamless fashion. You’ll need a barbell, dumbbells, a chair with a padded back rest, and a cable machine. If it’s your first time to use a cable machine, do your research and learn how to use them, or ask anyone in the gym for instructions.
- When you take a closer look at the video, you may notice that the weights he uses are quite substantial. In fact, you can see it in how he grimaces each time he lifts. That should give you a clue as to how much weight you should be using as well. If you want to maximize the benefits you get from lifting weights, then these weights have to challenge your muscles. You will only be wasting your time if your workouts are too easy.
- Interestingly, Rob says quite clearly that the super-heavy weights are not as important as your focus on your biceps. You need to concentrate on them to maximize the effects.
- If possible, you may want to try doing the exercises as you watch the video. The video shows you how to do the exercises properly and you’ll know the correct form, procedure, and speed. The exercises do seem a bit slower when performed here, and that’s because you need to keep the tension loaded for your biceps.
- The first exercise with the barbell requires 6 reps for the first set and then 12 reps for the second. With the dumbbell exercise, it’s about 6 or 7 reps for each arm in the first set, and then about 10 (or to failure) for the second set. With the cable machine, he did 14 reps for the first set, and then after a short rest he did only 5. This implies that you finish off the workout with the reps set to failure.
Another very effective and 6 minute bicep workout here can help you get bigger and stronger biceps.
Whether or not you subscribe to his diet recommendations, the attention on this topic does drive home one very important point—when you want to build your biceps (or any of your other muscles for that matter)—you need to pay attention to your diet as well.